Navigating Intimacy workshop, Wellington
September 27 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm$295
Navigating Emotional and Sexual Intimacy in Relationships
Many couples struggle to maintain both emotionally intimate and sexually fulfilling relationships in long term relationships. Difficulties with intimacy, including desire differences are a common presenting issue for therapy.
In this workshop we will
- explore the concepts of intimacy from a developmental and relational perspective
- discuss the relationship dynamics that impact intimacy
- utilize a range of models and interventions to enhance intimacy skills
- learn how to integrate sex therapy in couple therapy
- learn skills that will help couples improve communication and closeness
- practically apply the theory through exercises and case discussion
The workshop does not require any previous knowledge and is suitable for those participants who regularly work with couples as well as those primarily working with individuals who wish to gain an understanding of couple therapy.
Dr Allyson Waite and Paula Dennan are both Clinical Psychologists who specialise in working with couples and individuals experiencing difficulties with intimacy and sexuality. They are Regional Directors and accredited therapists with Sex Therapy New Zealand.
Ally has a background in mental health services, individual and couple therapy. Her practice is strongly influenced by attachment theory and relational models of therapy including Emotionally Focused Therapy for couples and Cognitive Analytic Therapy. She teaches in the area of sexuality through the University of Auckland.
Paula has over twenty-five years of clinical experience. She teaches the Bader Pearson Developmental Model of Couple Therapy which integrates attachment, differentiation and neuroscience. Paula works from a biopsychosocial model and values a systemic relational approach.