- This event has passed.
Purakau and Motivational Interviewing
August 1, 2020 @ 9:00 am - August 2, 2020 @ 5:00 pm$340
This interactive workshop is for Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Psychotherapists, Peer Support Workers, Community Support Workers & Social Workers. You will:
- UNDERSTAND: How to use Pūrakau (Traditional Māori narratives of origin) and Motivational Interviewing, acknowledging the mana of each to make your conversations for change more powerful.
- KNOW: The fundamental MI skills. Spirit of MI: partnership, acceptance, compassion & evocation. The 4 MI processes: engage, focus, evoke & plan. How to use reflective listening to shape a conversation to resolve ambivalence and strengthen commitment for change.
- PRACTICE: Engaging in Storytelling of Pūrakau with discussion expanding and deepening themes of change and applicability of these narratives of origin with those yourself & those work with.
- STRENGTHEN: Your confidence to use Pūrakau and MI in your practice.
- GAIN: DAPAANZ, NZAC, NZCCA, NZSWA registrations renewal points and a certificate of completion.
This training will be delivered twice via ZOOM from 9am to 5pm on Thursday 30th & Friday 31st July and again on Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August 2020. Choose which 2 days suit you best.
Tipene Pickett is of Ngati Kahungunu, German and Scots-Irish descent.
P Grad Cert Health Sciences, BA soc sci, Member of Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers.
I have been a practitioner of Motivational Interviewing (MI) for the past 18 years and trainer of trainers for the past 10 years. As a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers means I’m part of a global community of people who share a similar vision of change and scrutiny of professional practice in order to be the most effective clinicians we can be by embracing the way of being MI offers. A fundamental aspect of my personal journey has been remembering who I am as Māori. A journey I’m forever grateful for my mother taking and then sharing with me. Over the years working for a Kaupapa Māori service I was blessed to have knowledge of our ancestors imparted to me and to witness the profound impact this knowledge had on those we worked with. This led to a special interest is in the relationship Tikanga Māori, Te Reo, the Pōwhiri process and use of Pūrakau and Motivational Interviewing to deepen self awareness & conversations for change.
2 days $340.
Bank account details: 38-9015-0828346-00. Reference: Surname and first initial i.e Pickett T.
Once payment received, zoom meeting details will be sent out via e-mail.
Spaces limited to 24. Invoice available on request.