- This event has passed.
Transforming Complex Clinical Moments workshop, Wellington
October 21, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$395
Transforming Complex Clinical Moments: Innovative Interviewing Techniques for Understanding the Pain Beneath the Diagnosis
Internationally acclaimed author and innovator in clinical interviewing, Dr Shawn Shea returns to New Zealand and Australia in October in 2019. This latest workshop series will provide front-line clinicians with practical, specific interviewing techniques and state-of-the-art skills necessary to tackle some of the most complex of clinical challenges.
This one-day workshop consists of 3 enlightening segments:
1. The Innovative Use of Object Relations: Gateway to Understanding the People Beneath the Personality Diagnoses
2. The Inner World of the Pain Beneath the Diagnosis: Interviewing Techniques for Uncovering Anxiety Disorders
3. The Elusive World of Psychosis: How to Help Clients Share Their Pain, Hallucinations, Delusions, and Thoughts of Harm to Self or Others.
- Be able to utilise the theories of object relations (Kernberg) and the psychology of the self (Kohut) to apply specific interviewing techniques – such as the complementary shift – to rapidly and sensitively engage clients while gently uncovering the presence of borderline, narcissistic, and other personality processes.
- Be able to use specific interviewing techniques for rapidly, yet sensitively, uncovering OCD, PTSD, and panic disorder (including atypical presentations) using the DSM-V while sensitively understanding the nuances of how these disorders may appear and the trauma that may precipitate them.
- Be able to utilise a diversity of interviewing techniques for spotting delusional mood, delusional perception, variations in the life-cycle of a psychosis, and psychotic processes that may lead to self-mutilation, suicide or harm to others.
Shawn Shea, MD
Shawn Shea, MD is an internationally acclaimed innovator in the fields of suicide prevention, clinical interviewing, and enhancing the therapeutic alliance having given over 850 presentations worldwide.
Dr. Shea is the author of seven books and numerous journal articles with his book, The Practical Art of Suicide Assessment, being viewed as one of the classic texts in the field of suicidology.
His most recent book, Psychiatric Interviewing: The Art of Understanding, 3rd Edition was selected by the British Medical Association as the 2017 Book of the Year in Psychiatry.
With nearly 40 years of clinical experience, Dr. Shea is the Director of the Training Institute for Suicide Assessment and Clinical Interviewing (TISA), a training and consultation service providing workshops, consultations, and quality assurance design in mental health assessment.
Who should attend?
This training is appropriate for psychiatrists, counsellors, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, case managers, substance abuse counsellors, general practitioners and all mental health trainees.