There is a significant programme change from usual NZAP conferences: Larry is giving the first part of the keynote on the opening day of the conference, Thursday March 19, before dinner.
Here is a brief summary of the DRAFT programme.
Day 1 – Thursday
- Conference registration process begins from 2pm and the powhiri starts at 3pm.
- Please bring a koha (suggestion of $5) for the powhiri gift.
- It’s appreciated if women wear a dress or skirt for the ceremony.
- The keynote address, “Terror in the Transference”, will begin at 4.45pm.
- There will be a Life Membership Award presentation and an informal evening meal after the keynote.
Day 2 – Friday
- The programme starts at 8:45am.
- Dr Hedges will continue the second part of his paper, “Terror in the Countertransference”, followed by a full conference discussion on the keynote with Dr Hedges.
- Dr Hedges is planning to refer to the 2019 film “Joker” in his address, so you may like to see it in advance.
- In the afternoon Waka Oranga will be presenting a panel discussion on the future of psychotherapy in Aotearoa New Zealand. Some of our members have been involved in the recent mental health review and have had frontline exposure and influence in this area of NZ policy.
- We finish for the day at about 5.00pm.
- Friday night is free to do with as you like.
Day 3 – Saturday
- The programme starts at 8:45am with a case presentation and supervision by Dr Hedges. He has asked for a case that presents something of the theme of “Terrifying Transferences”.
- Later in the morning we have the first set of papers by NZAP members. For more about these please look at the abstracts subpage on the NZAP website: https://nzap.org.nz/nzap-events/conferences/conference-abstracts/
- After lunch we will have the Forum and the AGM (please note that only NZAP members can vote at the AGM).
- The dinner dance starts at 6.30pm at the Hunter Lounge (1 Kelburn Parade) in Victoria University. During the evening two Distinguished Service Awards will be presented.
Day 4 – Sunday
- Starting at 8.45am, we will have two more sets of papers from NZAP members and a late morning tea before the final gathering and poroporoaki.
- The conference will conclude by 2pm.
Below is the timetable of papers. You will be asked to nominate your choices at registration so we can allocate appropriate rooms.
|Saturday 11-12:30||Sunday 9-10||Sunday 10:15-11:45|
|Ros Lewis||Susan Lugton||Violet Sherwood|
|Sean Manning||Marie Franklin||Jenny de Leon|
|Joy Hayward||Vicky Blake||John Farnsworth|
|Diane Zwimpfer||Rod Sandle||Suzanne Johnson|
|Yve Gould||Miranda Thorpe|
Some further information to note
- You may be interested in nine free download books by Dr Hedges, available online at freepsychotherapybooks.org/all
- There is some parking at the conference venue.
- There is a good bus service from town on the No 1 bus. Get off the bus just after Dee St and the Parade roundabout. You will then have a short uphill walk on Dee St and then Murray St to the venue. Please note that you will need cash to pay for your bus ticket, or a Wellington Snapper Card.
- In the interests of preserving the planet we are not providing conference bags and we suggest you recycle one from other events you’ve attended.
- We will be meeting almost exactly a year after the Christchurch massacre so there will be a donation box at the reception area if you would like to contribute to a gift for the victims’ families.
- It may pay to bring a raincoat, but we recommend not bothering with an umbrella, due to the famous Wellington winds.
- There will be notices and housekeeping information at the start of each day so we would really appreciate it if you could be seated by 8.45am each day.
- There will be a barista on site from 7.45am and during morning tea and lunch. You may like to bring a reusable hot drinks cup.
- For those staying at the Home of Compassion a very simple breakfast will be provided. You may like to bring some of your own additional bits and pieces to add lustre! There is also a self-catering kitchen available for your use during your stay.